Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wedding Photo Framed Scrapbook Style (And a Delicious Cake!)

I've framed another one of our wedding photos! I was going to decorate the frame as well, but I thought it would be overkill, so I left it as is...which is nice because I like the dark frame.
I used a lovely purple butterfly and petal themed scrapbook paper for the background, and glued the photo on off-centre as I wanted the butterfly from the paper to be visible as well (since our wedding was butterfly themed after all).
 I hot glued some purple roses onto the glass (I used these roses to decorate at the wedding too), and added some pretty photo corner stickers onto the photo:
I put it on the table in our entrance hall:
And then....to end this post off on a delicious sweet note....
Behold the Tres Leches cake....This photo doesn't do it justice - it looks quite ordinary, but with ingredients like condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream, this cake is anything but ordinary. :D  Mine should probably have looked a tad more moist, but for some inexplicable reason I only added 1 cup cream to the sauce instead of 2 as the recipe requires.... :0

Here's the recipe:

Cake
1 1/2 cups     flour
1 tsp             baking powder
1/2 cup         butter (recipe says unsalted, but it's just fine with salted butter which I used!)
1 cup            white sugar
5                   eggs
1/2 tsp          vanille essence

Sauce
2 cups           whole milk (of course I substituted this for CREAM)
1 can             condensed milk
1 can             evaporated milk

Topping
1 cup             white sugar
1 1/2 cups      heavy cream
1 tsp              vanilla essence

(this cake is yummy as is so I didn't bother with the topping....it really doesn't need it!  It's the sauce that makes this cake)

*   Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.  Grease and flour 1 cake tin.
*   Mix flour & baking powder together & set aside.
*   Cream butter & sugar.  Add eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla & beat well.
*   Add flour mix 2 tbs at a time & mix well until blended.
*   Pour batter into cake tin and bake for about 30 mins or until ready.  Poke cake many times with fork.
*   Sauce - combine milk (um, CREAM), condensed milk & evaporated milk. Pour over top of cooled cake and let absorb.
*   Topping - whip cream, sugar & vanilla until thick. Spread over top of cake & keep refrigerated.

Note - you'll have place this cake in a container with a high rim (at least 2 inches high to be safe), otherwise the sauce is going to overflow and we don't want to waste all that sauce, do we???

Enjoy! :D


LINKY PARTIES linked to:
Momnivore's Dilemma                 Someday Crafts
Trendy Treehouse                        All Things Heart & Home
Sew Much Ado                           Blue Cricket Design
Nikki's Nifty Knacks                   Night Owl Crafting
Scrappy Gifts                               Fireflies & Jellybeans
Somewhat Simple                       The Shabby Chic Cottage
Beyond The Picket Fence           Tales From Bloggeritaville
Paisley Passions                          It's A Hodgepodge Life
Finding Fabulous                         A Little Lovely Blog
I Heart Nap Time                       Saturday Mornings
Just A Girl                                  C.R.A.F.T.
Sumo's Sweet Stuff                    Mom's Crazy Cooking
Memories by Christine                .

4 comments:

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I would have never thought to embellish the frame! Great idea!

Thanks for linking to the "photo" day of Beat the Winter Blues...

{that cake looks great as well}

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

Beautiful frame - love the simplicity of it - just perfect. That cake looks yummy too! Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdays!

Anonymous said...

Your looks so good and I wasn't expecting the recipe, thanks! And I love the frame. Hello, I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. I hope you can visit and follow me too. I'd like being friends. Thanks!

http://exjw-foodie.blogspot.com/

MBC Scrapbooking said...

I adore altered frames- the purple flowers are so cute. Thank you for linking up!
C:)